You May Qualify for Financial Aid If:
- You are a U.S. citizen, an eligible non-citizen, or have permanent resident status.
- You are enrolled in a degree-granting or approved certificate program.
- You have a high school diploma or recognized equivalent.
- You can demonstrate financial need.
- You meet other federal eligibility requirements
- If you are a veteran, you may qualify for GI benefits and financial aid.
Financial need is defined as the difference between the estimated Cost of Attendance and your expected family contribution (EFC) as determined by the data supplied on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and calculated by a federal formula. Cost of Attendance changes each year and is based on direct educational costs such as tuition, fees, and indirect allowances for costs such as personal expenses, transportation, and books/supplies.
Regardless of income, all qualified students should complete the FAFSA to be considered for federal, state, and institutional aid at UMass Boston.
The FAFSA is available beginning October 1st of any given year for the upcoming academic year. Don’t wait for an UMass Boston acceptance package to apply for financial aid.
Four Easy Steps:
- Create a Federal Student Aid (FSA) ID online. The FSA ID makes access to the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form secure and easy, and provides an electronic signature feature.
- Complete the FAFSA form online as close to October 1 as possible to receive an early financial aid award package. (FAFSAs received after March 1 are reviewed based on any available funding.) Use the school code for UMass Boston 002222.
- Use a tool called IRS Data Retrieval to pull your tax information directly into your FAFSA. It will increase the accuracy of your FAFSA information and streamline the application, review, and award process. The earlier you apply and the more accurate your application is, the sooner you'll be awarded the financial aid for which you are eligible. Using the IRS Data Retrieval tool will reduce your chances of being selected for verification which slows down the process.
- Submit your FAFSA application by the ultimate priority consideration deadline of March 1.