File a FAFSA every year.
The information you provide on the FAFSA determines your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) and your eligibility for federal, state, and university funds.
In addition, you must meet the following criteria to receive most types of financial aid:
- demonstrate financial need (for most programs)
- be a U.S. citizen or an eligible noncitizen
- have a valid Social Security number (with the exception of students from the Republic of the Marshall Islands, Federated States of Micronesia, or the Republic of Palau)
- if required, be registered with Selective Service
- be enrolled or accepted for enrollment as an admitted student in an eligible degree or certificate program
- be enrolled at least half-time to be eligible for Direct Loan Program funds
- maintain satisfactory academic progress
- sign the certification statement on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA®) stating that
- you will use federal student aid only for educational purposes
- you will not be in default on a federal student loan or owe money on a federal student grant
- provide proof of high school diploma or other Federally recognized documentation
Financial Aid is awarded on a first-come, first-served basis. Students who meet the priority FAFSA application dates AND priority deadline to complete all To-Do list items in WISER will be considered for the most financial aid that they are eligible to receive.
October 1 (All Students and Parents)
Access to FAFSA form begins (use IRS Data Retrieval for best results)
Mid-October (Enrolled Students)
If you’re eligible for the Federal Work Study (FWS) program, you must have completed all paperwork and be on the UMass Boston FWS payroll by this time.
Early Action Admission application deadline for fall semester first-year students
Spring semester FAFSA priority application date for new and transfer students
Late December / Early January
Early Action acceptance packets and financial aid award letters are sent out
March 1 (New Students)
Regular Action FAFSA priority application date for fall semester
April 1 (New Students)
Regular Action financial aid award letters are sent
Deadline for new students to complete To-Do list items in WISER to receive priority aid consideration.
Returning student FAFSA application date for priority aid consideration.
Deadline for returning students to complete To-Do list items in WISER to receive priority aid consideration.