File a FAFSA every year.
The information you provide on the FAFSA determines your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) and your eligibility for federal, state, and university funds.
In addition, you must meet the following criteria to receive most types of financial aid:
- demonstrate financial need (for most programs)
- be a U.S. citizen or an eligible noncitizen
- have a valid Social Security number (with the exception of students from the Republic of the Marshall Islands, Federated States of Micronesia, or the Republic of Palau)
- be registered with Selective Service, if you’re a male (you must register between the ages of 18 and 25)
- be enrolled or accepted for enrollment as an admitted student in an eligible degree or certificate program
- be enrolled at least half-time to be eligible for Direct Loan Program funds
- maintain satisfactory academic progress
- sign the certification statement on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA®) stating that
- you are not in default on a federal student loan and do not owe money on a federal student grant and
- you will use federal student aid only for educational purposes
- provide proof of high school diploma or other Federally recognized documentation
Financial Aid is awarded on a first-come, first-served basis.
October 1 (All Students and Parents)
Access to FAFSA form begins (use IRS Data Retrieval for best results)
Mid-October (Enrolled Students)
If you’re eligible for the Federal Work Study (FWS) program, you must have completed all paperwork and be on the UMass Boston FWS payroll by this time.
Early Action application deadline for fall semester first-year students
Spring semester FAFSA filing deadline for new and transfer students
Early Action acceptance packets and financial aid award letters are sent out
March 1 (New Students)
Regular Action application submission and FAFSA filing deadlines for fall semester aid for first year students
Regular Action financial aid award letters are sent
May 1 (Current Students)
Deadline to file FAFSA for continuing students to be considered for Priority Aid in the fall
June 1 (All students)
Deadline to submit required items on your To Do List in WISER to be considered for Priority Aid in the fall