Each year the Department of Education selects a portion of all applicants to complete a verification process. Verification is a process the school uses to confirm that the data reported on your FAFSA is accurate.
If your FAFSA is selected for verification, you will be required to submit documentation to verify the information reported on your FAFSA. If required, tax return transcripts must be requested directly from the IRS. Many items can be completed online or securely uploaded. Please review the items on your To Do list in WISER for instructions on how to complete each item requested. For items that cannot be completed online, visit our forms page for the requested document. Submit all requested documents as soon as possible to finalize your financial aid award.
Three Ways to Order Your Free Tax Return Transcript
Ordering Your Free IRS Tax Return Transcript
Call the IRS at 1-800-908-9946
- Tax filers must follow prompts to enter their social security number and the numbers in their street address. Generally this will be numbers of the street address that was listed on the latest tax return filed. However, if an address change has been completed through the US Postal Service, the IRS may have the updated address on file.
- Select “Option 2” to request an IRS Tax Return Transcript and then enter the appropriate tax return year.
- If successfully validated, tax filers can expect to receive a paper IRS Tax Return Transcript at the address that was used in their telephone request, within 5 to 10 days from the time the IRS receives the request.
- IRS Form 4506T-EZ should be used instead of IRS Form 4506-T because it is sufficient to request an IRS Tax Return Transcript.
- Download IRS Form 4506T-EZ
- Complete lines 1 – 4, following the instructions on page 2 of the form. Note that line 3 should be the most current address as filed with the IRS. It is the address where the IRS Tax Return Transcript will be sent. If the address has recently changed, include the address listed on the latest tax return filed on Line 4. However, if an address change has been completed through the US Postal Service, the IRS may have the updated address on file.
- On line 6, enter the tax year.
- The tax filers (or spouse if requesting information from a joint tax return) must sign and date the form and enter their telephone number. Only one signature is required to request a transcript for a joint return.
- Mail or fax the completed IRS Form 4506T-EZ to the appropriate address (or FAX number) provided on page 2 of Form 4506T-EZ.
- Tax filers can expect to receive their transcript within 5 to 10 days from the time the IRS receives and processes their signed request. NOTE: Processing form 4506T-EZ means verifying/validating the information provided on the form. If any information does not match the IRS records, the IRS will notify the tax filer that it was not able to provide the transcript.