While UMass Boston offers many Merit-Based Scholarships, Grants, and other Financial Aid, it is always in your best interest to search on your own for outside scholarship opportunities as well.
Outside scholarships have not been vetted by UMass Boston so we encourage you to keep the following things in mind when searching for scholarships:
- Never pay a fee to be considered for a scholarship, or to access a scholarship search website.
- Think local! Many scholarship opportunities come through your high school, clubs, the place of your parent or guardians’ employment, or a community group. Competition for local scholarships tends to be less competitive as they typically receive fewer applications.
- Beware of scams or predatory websites, your personal information is a valuable resource. If something sounds too good to be true or you are being asked for more information than you are comfortable giving, don’t apply.
If you receive an additional award from outside UMass Boston, your need-based aid may be reduced if your total aid exceeds your calculated cost of attendance as determined by the Financial Aid Office. If you are the recipient of an outside scholarship please contact the Financial Aid Office to determine how it may impact your aid.
Use Scholarship Search Engines to assist your search:
Sponsored by U.S. News & World Report, EDU provides students with many scholarship related articles and searches.
Big Future can help not only with scholarship searches but with internships and other funding opportunities through a series of questions about your background. Big Future is sponsored by the College Board Association.
See a list of scholarships, tuition waivers, and grants available to Massachusetts residents.
Outside Scholarship Opportunities:
Below are a handful of outside scholarships that many of our students have applied for in the past. We encourage you to review the criteria for each and determine if you may qualify.
The College Student Pre-Commissioning Initiative - Through the U.S. Coast Guards College Student Pre Commissioning Initiative (CSPI) scholarship sophomores and juniors can recieve:
- Competitive salary
- Up to $3,600 monthly salary while in school
- Up to two years of tuition, fees, and books
- Paid medical and dental insutrance
- 30 days of annual paid vacation
- Summer leadership training
- For more information contact Robin.c.Scott@uscg.mil